Everyday thousands of children are being sexually abused. You can stop the abuse of at least one child by simply praying. You can possibly stop the abuse of thousands of children by forwarding the link in First Time Visitor? by email, Twitter or Facebook to every Christian you know. Save a child or lots of children!!!! Do Something, please!

3:15 PM prayer in brief:
Pray for God to stop 1 child from being molested today.
Pray for God to stop 1 child molestation happening now.
Pray for God to rescue 1 child from sexual slavery.
Pray for God to save 1 girl from genital circumcision.
Pray for God to stop 1 girl from becoming a child-bride.
If you have the faith pray for 100 children rather than one.
Give Thanks. There is more to this prayer here

Please note: All my writings and comments appear in bold italics in this colour

Monday 13 January 2014

Gemma's Story - Incest, Bullying, & Recovery

This story was first published in January, but deserves to be repeated. Though not very long it is an indication that those of us who have been sexually abused as children can fully recover. We don't have to carry the guilt, shame, anger, or any other issues that drag us down. 

There is more on Gemma in the post Talk Pants and the Underwear Rule - Teaching Children About Sex Abuse; which will be posted immediately after this.

I would love for Gemma to write her story in more detail, if she hasn't already. I think it could help a lot of people.

Gemma Schembri, featured in the post immediately below, was raped repeatedly by her father for more than a year, starting when she was just 12 years old. 

From Lincolnshire, England, Gemma is now 21 and obviously fully recovered from the abuse judging by the beautiful smile in her pictures. NSPCC (see 2nd post below) has assisted her recovery and appears to have done very well.

It was after she finally confided in her mother that Gemma's abuse at the hands of her father finally ended and he was arrested, charged and eventually jailed for nine years.

Gemma explained: 'Telling my mum about the abuse was the worst conversation of my life. 

'I sat down with her and couldn't get it out at first. Then I was just really blunt and blurted it out. Mum was shocked and started crying and we all sat crying together.'

But despite Mark being behind bars, Gemma's ordeal was far from over as she had to cope with the aftermath of his abuse, something she eventually learnt to deal with thanks to the NSPCC's help.

She said: 'Mark was arrested and our family was in bits. Mum blamed herself and there was lots of arguing. I felt broken and suicidal and was self harming. I started acting out. I was drinking constantly and didn't care what I did. 

'I had lots of social workers but they didn't stick around so when I was introduced to a worker from the NSPCC I told her I didn't like her. But she stuck with me and was always there for me. She made me realise a lot of things about myself and helped me understand why I was acting out and helped me work through it.

'I'm better now and love my life but I think that if I'd spoken out and stopped the abuse earlier and gotten help earlier I would have recovered more quickly.' 

For more information visit  www.nspcc.org.uk/underwear 

No comments:

Post a Comment